NS 12 Indiana

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Nov 12 15:03:03 EST 2023

According to https://www.altoonaworks.info/ocs.html it was built in
1949 as a diner, eventually given the number 450. I don't have my
N&W/NS office car notes with me at the moment, but this would suggest
it was one of the D1 diners. For some reason there were a couple cars
rebuilt as sleepers/dorms that they removed all or most of the
windows. One car was even nicknamed Elkhorn Tunnel because of the lack
of windows. It may be as simple as crews and guest complained about
the lack of windows, and the last time the car went in for heavy
maintenance, they added more windows.
I enjoy modeling both the business and excursion fleets, and yes, you
often have to pick an era because these cars are regularly modified
and rebuilt. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding as many pictures
of the car as possible with known years of the photograph, and using
that to determine when changes were made. The Passenger Car Photo
Index is a wonderful compilation of pictures, often with links to the
same car under other ownership.
http://passcarphotos.rypn.org/Indices/BC10b.htm
Marty Flick

Sent: Sunday November 12 2023 1:28:38PM
Subject: NS 12 Indiana

   All,
 A friend captured an image of NS 12, Indiana, on Horseshoe Curve
recently.   [1]https://photos.app.goo.gl/24Et2MYK2qr52e5F6 [2]
 He is interested in obtaining accurate information on the car to
model it. I have a diagram of the car from the mid-90s, which shows
only three windows on the aisle side, and no windows on the bedroom
side.
 In his photo, there are 5 windows on the aisle side; images at
rrpicturearchives.net [3] .
[4]http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rspicture.aspx?id=425889&Page=1
[5] show the car in April 2023 with 5 windows on one side, and 8
windows on the other side.
 Can anyone offer any explanation/history of NS 12? Many thanks in
advance.
 Jim Brewer

Links:
------