Turnouts

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Mar 30 11:50:36 EDT 2020

Jack,

A few more details would be helpful. What do you use for sub-roadbed and roadbed? Also is the track already ballasted?

There are several ways to install a tortoise without lifting the turnout.

1.	Drill the large hole in line with the throw bar but off to the side. Then extend the throw bar to where the tortoise link is.
2.	Drill a small hole between ties in the track centerline a couple of ties away from the throw bar. Insert a wire through the hole (I usually also insert a brass tube to act as a sleeve/bearing) and bend to fit into the throw bar. Bend the part of the wire under the table to be similar to the part above (like a large [ shape ) and connect to the tortoise with a devised link. Some experimenting with the connection will be in order to get the proper throw. This is also helpful if the tortoise cannot be mounted directly under or in line with the turnout due to some obstruction.
3.	I have heard of folks sliding a piece of metal between the turnout and the roadbed. Then carefully drilling the large hole from below. Remove the piece of metal and connect normally. This would have to start by drilling a small hole the size of the opening in the throw bar through the table from above in order to locate and align the large hole from below. I did try this without the piece of metal once and carefully drilled and stopped after drilling through the plywood and into but not through the cork roadbed. Then cut away the full width of the cork under the turnout without lifting the turnout. it worked,  but I didn’t like risking turnouts to do it.

I’m sure that there are other options also, but I have used these to retrofit a friends layout.

Don Trettel

Formerly from Roanoke but transplanted to Washington State.