scratchbuilding a tower

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Mar 26 15:19:03 EDT 2020

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I have tried the angle chisel from Micromark on styrene and somehow I seem to always crack it at the corners.  I handheld it...maybe I can try the drill press.I have thought about segmenting the wall together and want to try it.  I have friends who build with wood and others with styrene so I wanted to try both.One other thing I have learned is that no building or rolling stock was ever built with the modeller in mind.
Love being a part of this crowd.
I have a few of the laser kits from the Commissary.  Fear grips me each time I pick up the box...need to get better before I tackle this...
Frank--all of us combined make a heck of a modeller...That's why we have conventions.  A fatal thought is "If I know it, everybody else must know it already, too"I would be happy to share my successes and failures with whomever will sit and listen.  Of course, anything we know was hard won.  Model building can be read about but until you cut a piece of wood or styrene, learning hasn't really occurred.

These thoughts all started with my seeing East Bridge Junction in Metairie, Louisiana.  What a glorious tower that has evolved over the years.  Much like the Columbus tower that (I think) Matt mentioned.  Anyway, my first attempt was to draw window templates then glue them to the wood so I could cut out the windows.  I should have used spray adhesive as the wood glue shrunk as it dried and bowed the siding sheets.
Maybe I can get back to working on this with these new ideas.
Thank you again.  I would love to see some of the models mentioned.
Mike Shockley