LC-2 vs EL-3a

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Jun 10 08:09:24 EDT 2015

Dave,

That is correct.

Mason

From: NW-Modeling-List [mailto:nw-modeling-list-bounces at nwhs.org] On Behalf
Of NW Modeling List via NW-Modeling-List
Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2015 10:41 PM
To: nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Cc: NW Modeling List
Subject: Re: LC-2 vs EL-3a

Mason:

Would I be correct in assuming that they were coolers for the liquid
rheostats in the rotor winding circuits?

I remember my Dad (who worked for Appalachian Power in Bluefield, but being
an electrical engineer was interested in the workings of the N&W electrics)
telling me that the railroad had to be careful not accidentally to put too
much trailing tonnage behind the electrics, because if they couldn't get up
to free running speed they ran the risk of boiling all the liquid out of the
rheostats.  I seem to recall that you mentioned the same thing in your
book...yes?

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 6/9/2015 4:36:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,