LC-2 vs EL-3a

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Jun 9 22:40:58 EDT 2015

Mason:

Would I be correct in assuming that they were coolers for the liquid
rheostats in the rotor winding circuits?

I remember my Dad (who worked for Appalachian Power in Bluefield, but being
 an electrical engineer was interested in the workings of the N&W
electrics)  telling me that the railroad had to be careful not accidentally to put
too much  trailing tonnage behind the electrics, because if they couldn't get
up to free  running speed they ran the risk of boiling all the liquid out of
the  rheostats.  I seem to recall that you mentioned the same thing in your
 book...yes?

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 6/9/2015 4:36:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,