HO Y class modifications/kitbash

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Jul 15 10:20:52 EDT 2014

Excellent, but anonymous, suggestions.  'Twould be nice to know who  we're
complimenting...

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 7/15/2014 8:19:13 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org writes:

I found a similar Streamlined cab from Greenway a few years ago.    It'll
match the existing Rivorossi Y6b but in brass.   I partly built a  Y5 from a
Rivorossi Y6b.  I removed the air pumps and FW system and that  includes
removing the part in front of the stack.   I used Brass details  for the BL FWS
and air pumps, added marker lights, shortened the smokebox  front etc.  The
rear sand dome needs to have the gap filled in after  removal of the dry
pipe.  I bought 33" spoked wheels and trimmed away the  outer bearing detail
for the pony  and lead truck.  For the tender I  started with a Bachman
excursion era A tank, and then I made molds of the coal  sided os a Powerhouse Y3
tender as well as the front of the tender for the  coal doors etc.  I used
a doghouse copied from a Rivorossi Y6b tender,  and earlier buckeye trucks
in brass.  Of course, I numbered mine  2092……