HO Y class modifications/kitbash

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Jul 15 12:04:58 EDT 2014

I did similar with a bachman 4-8-2- heavy.

Y3a

Mark Lindsey
Stuck in the 1930's
From: NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org<mailto:nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org>>
Date: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 10:20 AM
To: NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org<mailto:nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org>>
Subject: Re: HO Y class modifications/kitbash

Excellent, but anonymous, suggestions.  'Twould be nice to know who we're complimenting...

Dave Phelps

I found a similar Streamlined cab from Greenway a few years ago.   It'll match the existing Rivorossi Y6b but in brass.   I partly built a Y5 from a Rivorossi Y6b.  I removed the air pumps and FW system and that includes removing the part in front of the stack.   I used Brass details for the BL FWS and air pumps, added marker lights, shortened the smokebox front etc.  The rear sand dome needs to have the gap filled in after removal of the dry pipe.  I bought 33" spoked wheels and trimmed away the outer bearing detail for the pony  and lead truck.  For the tender I started with a Bachman excursion era A tank, and then I made molds of the coal sided os a Powerhouse Y3 tender as well as the front of the tender for the coal doors etc.  I used a doghouse copied from a Rivorossi Y6b tender, and earlier buckeye trucks in brass.  Of course, I numbered mine 2092……