Tuscan color

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Jul 14 13:20:37 EDT 2014

I "commissioned" Jim Nichols to come up with a color that would work in
my HO layout lighting and I think he nailed it. Called "Grant's Red 1,"
the mix in Scalecoat I is 2-1/2 parts N&W Red to 1 part AT&SF Red.

I use Philips Alto II T8 tubes, diffused, with a color temperature of
4100K. We first looked at various samples including his Jim's Red 1, 2,
and 3 (close), plus other custom and factory shades and all trended
either too blue, brown, or orange. A sample of the new shade in
incandescent looks too orange and too blue in "vintage" and "daylight"
florescent, but holds up well in natural daylight.

Grant Carpenter
---