PFM N&W 'A' 2-6-6-4 repair problems

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Feb 25 20:53:01 EST 2013

On Feb 25, 2013, at 4:29 PM, NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> wrote:

> I acquired a PFM N&W Class 'A' 2-6-6-4 that had been pretty beat-up and had the wrong tender. I have been repairing and restoring it, but have run into a few issues that I hope someone on the list can help me with.

> 1.) The top flange on the rear cylinder block is missing. I have a feeling that it was ripped off trying to separate the rear mechanism from the boiler (without removing the screw), and then lost :(( I will have to make a new one, but my question is if the flange plate sits on top of the cylinder block, or is it wrapped around the sides of the saddle ?

Keep your eyes on eBay.

> 2.) The pilot assembly I have is badly bent and missing the ladders, railings, and platform. I think I can rebuild it, but if anyone has a PFM 'A' pilot assembly they could sell me, it would be a lot better. Anyone ?

Keep your eyes on eBay.

> 3.) I badly need a tender for this engine. Is there any difference between the tenders of the PFM 'A' and Y-6b, or of different runs ? Anyone know where I could get one ?

The Y-6b's had Buckeye trucks and the A's had Commonwealth trucks aside from that the PFM tenders should be interchangeable. (I can compare the tenders of my PFM Y's and A's next week for you......but they should be the same. I have seen N&W PFM tenders for sale on eBay.

> 4.) This engine has an angled cylinder on the frame underneath the engineers position. I think it is supposed to represent a grate shaker , but I haven't found a prototype picture to confirm or deny this theory. Is a grate shaker cylinder under the cab correct for a class 'A' ? Also it looks to be missing a part on the top middle of the angled cylinder. Would it be a lever, or what ?

My Brass locomotives are in Georgia and packed away. I have 2 PFM models ( one with brake hangers and one without) and 3 Key models of A's.

> 5) Did any of PFM's 'A' runs have brake shoe hangers ? (mine doesn't)

The later PFM runs of A's and Y's had brake hangers.

Send me an email late next week (once I've fully moved from AR to GA) and we can discuss these questions when I have access to my models. Do you have digital pictures of what you're discussing here?

Ed Painter - edwinpainter at gmail.com - 678-350-5424

Some of the bigger Brass dealers might have parts.............

> Thanks,

> Dave

> http://daveayers.com

> http://brassbackshop.com

Ed Painter Narrows, VA fully retired and moved to Dawsonville,GA this Friday........