PFM N&W 'A' 2-6-6-4 repair problems

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Feb 26 21:27:45 EST 2013

On 2/26/2013 12:00 PM, nw-modeling-list-request at nwhs.org wrote:

> Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 17:29:58 -0500

> From: NW Modeling List<nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org>

> Subject: PFM N&W 'A' 2-6-6-4 repair problems

> To: NW Modeling List<nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org>

> DelSp="yes"

> I acquired a PFM N&W Class 'A' 2-6-6-4 that had been pretty beat-up

> and had the wrong tender. I have been repairing and restoring it, but

> have run into a few issues that I hope someone on the list can help

> me with.

> 1.) The top flange on the rear cylinder block is missing. I have a

> feeling that it was ripped off trying to separate the rear mechanism

> from the boiler (without removing the screw), and then lost :(( I

> will have to make a new one, but my question is if the flange plate

> sits on top of the cylinder block, or is it wrapped around the sides

> of the saddle ?

Bowser still has parts for their steam engine kits, check Precision
Scale, Greenway brass
pics would be helpful, but I looked at my BLI A, are we talking about
the Steam exhaust pipe fitting?

> 2.) The pilot assembly I have is badly bent and missing the ladders,

> railings, and platform. I think I can rebuild it, but if anyone has a

> PFM 'A' pilot assembly they could sell me, it would be a lot better.

> Anyone ?

as above and Cal Scale (Bowser), but being brass it might be straightenable.

> 3.) I badly need a tender for this engine. Is there any difference

> between the tenders of the PFM 'A' and Y-6b, or of different runs ?

> Anyone know where I could get one ?

In general N&W never put engine numbers on their tenders and the Y's had
a variety of tenders on them, if the engine went into the shop it could
come out with a different tender. (perhaps same design tender). One Y6
or Y5 had 8 wheel tender trucks (tender from another railroad).
If you have a Y6 tender, it looks quite similar to the A's, I compared
mine, only the purist would complain. Really, if you snag a Rivarrossi
Y6 basket case on ebay you might have fun borrowing parts to fix the A.
Even if it is plastic, including the tender, find commonwealth trucks
it'll look...closer.

But the word is SCROUNGE. (Vane Jones-Traction and Models Mag.)

> 4.) This engine has an angled cylinder on the frame underneath the

> engineers position. I think it is supposed to represent a grate

> shaker , but I haven't found a prototype picture to confirm or deny

> this theory. Is a grate shaker cylinder under the cab correct for a

> class 'A' ? Also it looks to be missing a part on the top middle of

> the angled cylinder. Would it be a lever, or what ?

N&W Historical society website has lots of searchable details, I poked
looked at my BLI, but cant identify the part, maybe I can find a plan in
one of the model magazines.

> 5) Did any of PFM's 'A' runs have brake shoe hangers ? (mine doesn't)

someone else answered.

> Thanks,

> Dave

> http://daveayers.com