N&W Jawn Henry

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Nov 12 22:39:42 EST 2012

I have a Jawn Henry, its been seriously worked over mechanically, but
the original drive is intact but changed the motor(s) to 1 large motor,
swapped trucks front back on one end, project is bigger to descibe than
what I will here.
Anyways I tried a QSI Veranda Turbine decoder on it, killed the diesel
sound so only the turbine sound ran, sounded convincing enough, but I'm
told the Jawn was more a Whoosh and when idle the turbine was off while
the veranda idled.
But the decoder failed, I sent it in to QSI and they replaced it (with a
new titan version no less,,yippeee) but I am squeamish to install it
right now, right now I have a digitrax 4 amp decoder installed, no sound.
I couldnt find the email but someone took a normal steam sound decoder,
killed the chuff and pushed the blowdown full volume, or the generator.
I havent solved doing sound yet for the Jawn, it probably needs to be
able to have variable turbine sound whoosh and off when idle.
Probably something for the sound decoder folks to work out.
Since Division point has brought theirs out, there's more Jawns out
there now.
Perhaps we should email one of them sound decoder makers, ESU decoders
are programmable, dunno if they have a turbine, Digitrax has a sound
decoder thats programmable also.
Both have downloadable projects sounds.

-Lynn Willer-