auxiliary tenders, BLI vs. Spectrum

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Jun 17 17:01:48 EDT 2011

Not sure from your description which auxillary tenders you got, but that is a
good price for either. The aux tenders used in the excursions were originally
from the L&N 2-8-4's, and are about the same length as an N&W 22K tender. The
Bachmann model of these (done for the original Bachmann J) is rather crudely
detailed in comparison to the Spectrum N&W aux tender, which is a well detailed
model of the aux tenders Roanoke make out of 16K tenders. These are shorter than
a 22K tender (and shorter than the aux tenders made from L&N tenders). These
were all gone by the time of the steam excursion program, thus the ex-L&N
tenders were used. Bachmann offered this Spectrum tender in a variety of road
names and paint jobs, including one with the N&W red stripe (which, one way or
the other, is not correct) It is a good source of parts, as it has the T40
trucks and the roll top cistern. The trucks are correct for a few other N&W
tenders, including the N&W design 12K, which ended up on most of the M's. I plan
to use the body shell (with some modifications) to do a Virginian tender,
possibly for a PA.

Do you have any left for which you don't have a use? 2 dozen is a lot of
excursion tenders.

Jim Nichols