COAL MINE SWITCHER?

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Jan 28 23:40:18 EST 2011

In part it depends on if the mine is being switched by N&W or the mine operator. If a mine operator, then yes, a small diesel switcher such as an Alco S series or industrial engine like a GE 44 tonner would work. "Norfolk And Western: Steam's Last Stand" by Mallory Hope Ferrell shows a former N&W M class lettered for a coal company, as well as geared engines such as shays being used by mining companies.
N&W also kept 4-8-0's and 2-8-0's on the roster into the 50's for light work, so the use of one of them is not out of the question, although mallets seemed to dominate as mine shifters at the time.

Marty Flick