COAL MINE SWITCHER?

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Jan 28 22:33:23 EST 2011

Hi Ed;

Depends on your scenario. Many mines did not have their own switcher, using gravity or a cable to move the hoppers positioned by the serving railroad. If you elect for your mine to have it's own switcher, it could be anything. It is not likely to be a new unit. An ex-N&W G-class or W-class 2-8-0 would be a good choice. In HO; one of the 0-6-0T switch models would be my choice. In the mid-'50's; it is not likely that a coal mine would own anything except a steam locomotive.

Nigel