More N Scale 70 ton Offset 3 Bay hoppers coming in N&W from Athearn

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Jul 22 16:34:03 EDT 2008

Athearn has announced another run of the ex-Roundhouse/MDC offset side tooling in N&W:

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH11964

They come in 5 packs.

I bought these from the 1st run and they are pretty nicely decorated for ex-NKP offset hoppers (which represented a tiny fraction of the N&W hopper fleet post-1964) - unfortunately they are over represented now in my N scale hopper fleet so I won't be buying from the 2nd run.

I am still hoping that Athearn will eventually do something with the ex-MDC peaked end ribbed side 70 ton triple hoppers (under Athearn's stewardship this tooling has not been released). As nearly all N&W hoppers built between the 1930s and early 1960s were peaked end it would be nice if Athearn would run them (in N&W of course) again.

Here is a picture of one of the last releases before MDC/Roundhouse was bought by Horizon/Athearn (MDC didn't quite get the lettering right, Athearn seems to have done their homework on the open hoppers they've done in N&W so far though):

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1zb8oxi&s=4

Mark Peele
Catonsville, MD