coaling towers

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Feb 12 03:27:36 EST 2008

I am looking for the dimensions of the coaling towers that N&W used, especially like the one in Bluefield, VA, or a similar one as in other yards. I have plenty of good photos of the remains of several coaling towers, including the Bluefield one, and want to model one in HO scale. Tichy has the coaling tower lift mechanism and also the Fairbanks Morse coal chutes, so all I need to know is the diameter of the round section and the heights of the various assemblage. I also need to know if the hoist pits were origonally covered with a shelter of some sort. Was the coal suppy track elevated or on the same level as the engine tracks? If anyone has built one of these coaling giants any data you can supply would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,

Ken McWilliams