Motor cars or Speeders

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Feb 12 04:00:49 EST 2008

Howdy,

I know I have been asking a lot of questions about various N&W equipment and structures. As a way of saying thanks for your help, I have data on nearly all of the various speeders or motor cars that various rail roads may have used. That includes the following motor cars: Fairmont, Buda, Mudge, Fairbanks Morse, Kalamazoo, ( including velocipedes ), and the Duntly "Rockford" and a few rare types. On Fairmonts I can supply gauge data on all of the M series, S series, A and T series. That includes the Inspection cars, Light section cars, Standard section cars, Gang cars, and Trailers. There was also a Hump car that carried 30 men and could handle most grades. Hand car sheds or buildings were as varied as out houses. Unless you are modeling a specific RR most any structure will do. If you paln to build a structure, keep it at least 14 feet away from the rails if you want to park the car in front of the building.

So if anyone is building or plans to build a model motor car, I can tell you what materials and parts were on the origonal cars. Other data like windshield types, roof options, number of control handles, etc. If by chance you have a full sized motor car I can help you with data on maintainance and aquireing parts. I also have plans for a hand pump car and how to make the parts. I can also explain how NOT to get a chauffers break on your cranking hand. :) From experience, they can take a very long time to heal. BTW, most HO models of motor cars do not include a crank. They are usually placed on the right hand panel towards the front and are shaped similar to a Ford hand crank, except larger and the hand part turns. And for the steam era folks, the Clerk 2-cycle was invented in 1881. So powered motor cars have been around a long time. Feel free to ask about any aspect of these neat little cars and I'll do my best to help.

Best Regards,

Ken McWilliams