The Issue of Color

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Feb 6 23:31:20 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: NW Modeling List
To: NW Modeling List
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 9:51 PM
Subject: Re: The Issue of Color

And also the distance away you are standing. (Light does not scale) That is why the prototype looks lighter from 100 feet away than the color chip in your hand. So the model has to be painted in a lighter shade than the color chip in order to look like the prototype does from 100 feet away, and that is why the Society can't just bottle up something that matches the color chip and sell it as model paint. Sorry, but you still have to mix what looks right to you. I do, and I get compliments on it. Jim Nichols

NW Modeling List wrote:

We should also consider the light conditions under which a color is viewed, be it the actual railroad car outside (clear day vs. cloudy day) or a model under interior lighting. There are many lighting scenarios and thereby the results will be seen differently but they will still be the same "color."

Aubrey Wiley

Aubrey: I believe you have said it best, 'There are many lighting scenarios and thereby the results will be seen differently but they will still be the same "color." Yes a modeler can paint their cars any color of their choice, but the problem remains for the manufacture to remain consistant. We may not all like the color reproduced form existing paint cards, but aleast the models being produced and consistantly be close to the historical data to best best of our knowledge.

Stephen Rineair

NW-Modeling-List at nwhs.org

NW-Modeling-List at nwhs.org