1. Re: N&W Pass Red. (NW Modeling List)

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Feb 4 22:48:30 EST 2007

As I stated several weeks ago and mentioned by someone else since then, there
were numerous color cards at a Convention years ago and no 2 people could
agree as to what the correct color was. It is my understanding that these color
cards were created when a new batch of paint was used to create something to
send to the paint manufacturer when more paint was needed. To say that a color
card should be used to duplicate the color might be useless because of the
variety between cards. The color number has been published in previous articles of
the Aarow and I know of a couple of people who went directly to one of the
manufacturers and purchased the "correct" color using this number and they were
not satisfied with the results. Someone menioned that the Pennsylvania colors
match from one manufacturer to another yet I can buy Pennsylvania Tuscan from
Badger and Polly Scale and they will be different. This can also happen with
the same manufacturer with slight variations between lots. The difference
today is that there are color analizers that tend to keep some consistency in
color that wasn't available even 10-15 years ago. So the Society gets into the
paint business. How many will then complain that the color isn't right? As
someone said, collect ideas from the list, experiment and come up with a color that
you as an individual like and go with it. If you have something you like and
can put forth your formula for it let's hear about it. Alan Cox