Class J's - trackworthiness?

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Oct 3 22:11:59 EDT 2006

I have to agree on the track standards. When UP brought the 3985 down the Clinchfield for the Santa Claus Train, they managed to side swipe a coal car on a curve, and this was on the old Clinchfield which had Challengers on them in the 40's and 50's. So tracks do get redesigned.

The J itself was pushing the envelope. Special balancing, lightweight alloy rods, and don't forget the modern Timken bearings.

A few years ago I had a discussion with a gentleman, who was on the 611 and the 1218 as a Pilot Engineer out of Portsmouth, Ohio. He said that the A had a nice ride as it was sprung for freight speed. The J was stiff riding, because it was sprung stiffer. He also said that engineers who got to run the J a little faster on the dead head moves said that the 611 smoothed out at faster speeds.

A.J. Gemperline