"REAL COAL" LOADS

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Jun 11 12:55:04 EDT 2006

> Maybe someone can answer my concerns about "real coal" loads in models.

> I seem to recall (my 74 year old mind is NOT as sharp as it once was !)

> something about the sulfer in "real" coal eating away the portions of a model

> that it contacts. But when sellers list items on ebay if the item has a "real

> coal" load it is touted as one of the outstanding features to lure potential

> buyers.

> Any comments from the on line "Myth Busters" ?

> Second question.

> I need source for table settings (dishes, silver ware, glass ware) for my MTH

> 0-gauge diner.

> Suggestions ?

> Thanks in advance for your kind responses.

> Neil K. Yerger (Mr. Kit Basher)

> 7 Farm Roas

> Wayne, PA 19087-3303

> audreyly at aol.com

I Œve used vacuuformed hills with a thin layer of real coal glued in place
with gloss black (Testors) paint.
They don¹t seem to bother ANY of my plastic hoppers or tenders. Same goes
for the painted brass ones.
I haven¹t used a Œlive real coal load¹ since I put 5 HU¹s on their sides
about 10 years ago.
The lighter the Œload¹ the more cars you can pull anyway. I use unweighted
cars with jay-Bee wheelsets for any weight.
I just make sure the journal boxes and wheels roll very freely.

Mark Lindsey