"REAL COAL" LOADS

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Jun 11 18:36:49 EDT 2006

On the Pokey Chicagoland divison we have been using live loads for many
years!!

First thing: Do not use real coal on your layout for loads or for anything
in your train room!!! It makes a dust mess that works as an insulator and/or
a conductor when it gets the right mood!!!

We use a sand blasting compound that goes under the name Black Jack or Black
beauty. This stuff looks and moves like coal in HO scale. It is available at
a large sandblasting outfits. It is used to prep steel for painting and also
for taking paint off of brick! We get it here in Chicago in 100 pound bags
for about 10 bucks a bag. The beauty of this stuff is that is just about
dust free and does not conduct electricity.

We do use two working loaders and a rotary dumper in our coal business!!

Mike Ritschdorff and crew