Spectrum J sound

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Jan 5 19:09:47 EST 2006

I would sum up the J's like this......

Most accurate would be the Brass J latest run by OMI. Though it still is not 100% (no model is!), it was done with the plans from a gentleman from NC who had worked for the railroad and has the J plans displayed. The deal was that OMI could use the plans if OMI did the models in O scale. OMI did!
The BLI in plastic is so far the most accurate, using plans provided by an N&W society member.
The Spectrum was modeled from the J in Roanoke. Botchman still couldn't get things correct and many flaws have been pointed out on this forum. \\
The Spectrum and the BLI J are equal in pulling power, my BLI J will pull 6 brass cars up a 2% grade which is over the NMRA weight requirement.
As far as sound, every one as an opinion, so I'll go with society member who compared recordings and stated the octave was slightly off, but a good representation of the actual sound. I'm tone deaf so I must rely on a more authority.

Stpehen Rineair