Spectrum J sound

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Jan 6 02:19:30 EST 2006

Overland in my opinion did not do that hot of a job with the recent J's
which I own one. After sending 3 back due to the maroon stripe fading as it
neared the end of the cab and end of the tender they finally gave me 25% off
and I took it to a local hobby shop for restripping. I think Overland could
have done a QA before receiving the models. This issue was very noticeable
on all J's that I received. I just completed putting the BLI sound in my
brass J and it sounds close enough for me. She looks good pulling a 25 car
mixed excursion consist. The cars are Walthers and Rivarossi. I added 3
ounces of weight in the boiler to get it to pull up my 3% grade.

As far as this subject if you have a hobby shop nearby that has both for you
to look at or if a show is in your area look at the two locomotives and see
which you like best. According MSRP on Walthers website the spectrum J is 50
less than the BLI.

My additional two cents

Jon Kelley

_____