Correct K1 Tender

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Jan 5 22:40:58 EST 2005

Hi All;

First of all, the Bachmann USRA Heavy 4-8-2 is appropriate for a K2, and take a bit of modification to become a K1, though it is certainly a very reasonable project.

You can get Bachmann Spectrum A-tanks from Trainworld for less than $20 each plus s&h (so purchase several at once), which a good price just for a pair of trucks of that detail level with electrical pickups.

I have purchased a P2K Y3 tender off of e-bay.  The forth coming release by Life Like is for a USRA 2-8-8-2 (no Worthington BL, pumps on the smokebox, etc), so the tender should be different too.

There was a series in Model Railroading several years ago on creating a E3 from a Spectrum PRR K4, one of the articles was on creating a tender from the then current Bachmann A tank, the new Spectrum A tank should work even better for that conversion.

For the PM tenders, the Rivarossi Berkshire tender is close, and the whole locomotive can be had for $50 from Trainworld, they may even have some of those with two tenders.......

Nigel F Misso
nfmisso at mchsi.com