Steam decals

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Dec 12 20:51:38 EST 2004

I would like to comment on the information needed to properly make
decals. Paint and lettering happens to be my specialty, I do it for
both professional and hobby. I will point out that, I am not now a
modeler, simply no time for such. However, I am probably one of the
pickiest people out there about model lettering. I do not understand
how a manufacturer can go to such great lengths on a model, only to
drop the ball at the last minute on one of the most visible parts of
the model.

I have been involved in decal artwork, and producing full size stencils
for the real thing, N&W, Virginian, NKP, Western Maryland and C&O. You
suggest the lettering diagrams be sent to the manufactuer and there it
is.  I will offer that the lettering diagrams are seldom the absolute
correct art. It takes a lot of work to find material that is truly
right. If you send a simple lettering diagram to someone who is not
prepared and does not truly know what is right and what is wrong, you
will get wrong decals, stencils or vinyl.

A perfect example of this material is C-630 No. 1135 at the Virginia
Museum of Transportation. The style of lettering, heralds, numbers and
numberboards are incorrect (not even mentioning paint shade here). Why?
Very simple, the person handling the restoration some years back sent a
lettering diagram to a sign company in Pennsylvania to have them cut
vinyl lettering. The diagram was so no specific, the sign company
looked at it and said "this looks like Helvetica" and that was what
they cut and sent back. The person at VMT had no knowledge about what
is right and what is wrong so there they go up on the unit. Now it
represents, incorrectly, the 1960s Pevler blue scheme in a Museum as
history, but it is wrong, I consider it as false history. The right
information and people were out there, myself, Richard Shell of
Shellscale, but not consulted. In fact, we were told our help and
knowledge were not needed or wanted. Now that changed with the NKP
caboose, and the 1776 (again, not mentioning incorrect nose color), but
the lettering is correct on both of those.

In some cases, the drawings virtually do not exist for the actual
correct work. When working on lettering my Virginian caboose No. 342
back in 1989. I went to the Motive Power Department to see if the VGN
drawings for the letters themselves existed on micro film. No, not in
the main set, not in the set in the vault. Why? Someone apparently took
the original linens before they were in the group to be microfilmed,
probably before 1970. The VGN cab at Virginia Museum of Transportation,
again, is wrong. Now this time it was the railroad that painted and
lettered it in the early 1980s. Again, there were no drawings
available, so they used a Champ decal set and made up something that is
totally wrong. What I had to do get my lettering correct was find the
sole remaining Virginian painted caboose, a difficult task as late as
1989, I went and traced the original lettering, or what remained of
such, and went and redrew it. All told this little portion of a job
took over 100 hours. The general arrangement of lettering that finally
surfaced several years ago is great, but not the complete story.
Accuracy is a tough thing to accomplish, and requires someone who has
knowledge, material, and cares enough about it to make the job right.
Most manufacturers will not devote that kind of time and research to a
project that will rarely sell enough to pay for the time.  I am sure
Richard Shell will back me on the effort required to gather and produce
artwork for decals. In both his and my case, it is a labor or love,
there is virtually no way to get paid for the time involved.

Ken Miller