signal brackets

Thu Mar 28 20:53:03 EDT 2024

That chart answers one thing I wondered about. My 1981 ETT mentions the 20mph speed limit ”within city limits Chillicothe” without saying where the limits were. So I see it was up to the Scioto River Bridge leaving about 1/3 mile of 60mph before 35 for the turnout westbound. I’d ask why bother with that short stretch of 60 except by my ETT, it was almost 50 miles of 60mph from Vera (Cincinnati District junction) to MP 657 except for the 20 restriction within Chillicothe. So it was 60 for that short stretch simply because it was not 20.

I think someone also asked why the short single track. Looking at the Scioto River bridge, it looks like it was one two tracks. I wonder if as cars became heavier, it was too much for the bridge so the N&W single tracked the bridge so there could never be side-by-side trains there. But that’s pure speculation on my part.

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com