signal brackets

Thu Mar 28 18:06:50 EDT 2024

Larry, Your description below is extremely helpful and clear.

I've attached the 1984 N&W (not NS!) Track Chart of Chillicothe with a
Red Arrow pointing to our signal in question (yes, we do agree on it's
location. thx). The eastbound #1 Track is marked blue. The westbound #2
Track is marked in yellow. BTC and ETC stands for 'Begin Traffic
Control' and 'End T.C.' Note the speed limits shown at the top. I'd be
interested how and engineer would take advantage of that short 60 mph
stretch btwn the 20 mph and the 35 mph :)  Hope this makes things
clearer for everyone.

Thx for reminding us that NW didn't use Diverging indications for
converging moves.

What would be the procedure for a westbound to continue west on
eastbound Track #1 past the 'Restricting' signal?

And here's a very helpful link regarding NW Signals c.1981.
https://www.jmri.org/xml/signals/NW-1981/aspects.xml

John Garner, Newport VA

P.S. I'm proud to say that my brother was in charging of creating and
maintaining these NW track charts for the entire system.

Eric, then we are in agreement (but on your note below, you said you’d
have Diverging Clear here - perhaps you mistyped). As I said somewhere
earlier in this, N&W did not use diverging signals for converging moves
(two track to one or out of a siding onto the main) unlike many western
roads (such as the former Milwaukee Road where I used to commute).
Therefore from either track at the pictured point, you not get a
diverging signal as you went from two tracks to one. But the next signal
is the move to double track where you either diverge to the westbound
track or continue straight against the current of traffic on the
eastbound track. The only possible signals there are Diverging Clear (or
Diverging Approach as appropriate to block status) for the move to the
westbound track or Restricting to the eastbound track. Hence, one signal
back at the point pictured, it’s Approach Diverging if lined to the
westbound track or Approach if lined to the eastbound track or not
cleared at all there.

And for the others, as I know how confusing signal names can be,
Diverging Whatever means you’re diverging here and then doing whatever
the rest says (Diverging Clear means diverge then treat it as a clear
once clear of the turnouts, Diverging Approach means diverge, then
approach next signal prepared to stop, and Diverging Approach Diverging
means diverge, then approach next signal prepared to diverge again)
while Approach Diverging means you’re not diverging until the next
signal (it’s real easy to confuse Approach Diverging and Diverging
Approach).

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com