signal brackets

Thu Mar 28 12:32:25 EDT 2024

John, your description is where I think it is. We just described it differently. I said “east end of the single track” while you said “west end of the double track” which is the same place.

A habit I’ve picked up from formerly living in the Metra former Milwaukee Road territory is differentiate between saying “double track” and “two main tracks” (sometimes more than two). At least there, "double track” means two tracks each with a designated current of traffic (rule 251). “Two main tracks” means either can be used either direction (rule 261, CTC, TC, or whatever name you want to use since they varied). Based on my 1981 employee timetable, to use those terms, N&W was two main tracks east of Chillicothe, then 1.5 miles of rule 261 single track, but then double track west of there.

And I agree as I love signaling discussions. Once Eric posted that excerpt from the track map, it was clear (pun intended) as to why no Clear as the only thing a train can do at the next signal at MP 657 is diverge to the westbound track (35mph speed restriction in 1981) or continue straight onto the eastbound track which was not signaled for westbound moves and therefore could only be done with a Restricting signal.

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com