Otto Perry Photos

Wed Nov 29 12:38:47 EST 2023

Rob

I completely agree with you. I did the same in Roanoke at the Jolly Roger Haggle Shop, which had 4x8 sheets of plywood on sawhorses for tables, and at least one table was full of old N&W Magazines, another had model magazines. I love my magazines as well, and only in recent months have begun to starting to dispose of them.

I ordered one of the prints the ebay seller offered, on November 2nd, and I am waiting to see what actually shows up. But I am betting what is being done is the seller (who has at this moment, almost 602,000 photo offerings on eBay including, I’d guess, images out of the N&WHS collection as part of them) is doing screen grabs or image downloads and simply getting them printed and shipped out. I am suspecting inkjet prints, not actual photographic prints, but will post a follow-up.

Even though the Denver library has copyright, this seller is based in Australia, making legal action expensive if not downright impossible. It reminds me of a letter I got close to 35 years ago from a person building a live steam model of an N&W Class A in Australia. He had paid Mark Faville over $1,500 for a set of prints, which was about 400 as I recall, and more later. Faville apparently printed him about 80 prints, and decided that was all he wanted to fool with. I told them man I was sorry, I had no connection to Faville, but I knew he was hard to deal with, and the only thing that might get his attention was legal action, which, again, was difficult with the international borders. I never heard if he pursued anything or not. I really felt sorry for the man, sending that much money and getting less than 1/4 of what you had paid for.

The seller is certainly taking advantage of skirting the law here and most certainly is selling ink jet prints, not actual darkroom prints.

Best
Ken Miller