Otto Perry Photos

Wed Nov 29 09:08:30 EST 2023

I completely agree. I guess most of us are old enough to remember real
magazine stands / stores. In my case it was a long narrow shop in downtown
Newport News near the shipyard. In the late '60s and early '70s that dingy
place must have stocked thousands of titles. I would save up my allowance
for weeks to spend it there, and would return home with a big stack of
magazines and comic books. I love magazines. My attitude is that if you like
a magazine at all, buy a subscription to it if you can afford to.

The public library was a big part of my youth too. My parents were avid
readers and they taught me to read before I started first grade. My Dad took
me to see a silent movie at the Main Street branch library when I was maybe
12 and that spurred a life long obsession with silent films. That's why the
guy on eBay selling prints of Otto Perry photos annoys me. The Denver Public
Library's digital collections web site is quite clear that their photos can
be licensed for commercial use for a fee but proper credit must be stated.
Maybe the eBay seller is legit, or maybe he's ripping off the library, I
don't know. But an alternative to buying from eBay is purchasing a digital
file from the Denver library and having your local Staples make a high
quality print.

Rob Doorack
Guilford, CT