Y4 - what role did they play on the railroad?

Fri Nov 17 13:12:33 EST 2023

A bit more to add to Jim Nichols comments.

Yes, some of the Y4s were used on the Shenandoah Division, and at least one shows on west end of the Norfolk Division, and I believe someone had said on the Pocahontas Division. This is through photo evidence.

I suspect these uses were for heavy freights that also picked up and dropped off cars along the route. The additional water capacity was enough to allow them to work without need of a canteen, in light of discontinuing some water stations along the way.

Unfortunately, we do not have, to my knowledge, any locomotive assignments from the era.

Best
Ken Miller