Static Arms: A PDF of Photos and Measurements

Wed Oct 18 21:57:59 EDT 2023

For my friends Mr. Rector and Mr. Goodman, and for others who like, share, subscribe and support the Turnip Patreon, I have put together a little PDF of photographs and measurements on the N&W Static Arms.  Hopefully this answers the questions.

Tha last page of the PDF even contains a photo just for Mr. Rector, who asked if any other railroads used static arms on pole line. This is the only photo I have ever seen of another railroad using a pole standoff.

In conclusion, a Caveat: The N&W's official nomencature for these pieces may not have been "Static Arm." That is just what I heard them called almost 60 years ago. To find out the railroad's official name for these items, consult the Signal Department Standatd Plans (which I do not have.)

-- abram burnett
Promoting Canals, Steam Navigation, Railroads, Telegraph and Turnips