Pevler Blue

Sat Apr 1 12:40:01 EDT 2023

Just to add to Jim’s comment. The cover of the N&W Magazine for March 1966 depicted the 2704 and a Pm coach in Blue at Roanoke with the following photo caption:

"THE FRONT COVER of this issue shows two units of Norfolk and Western equipment which have been painted in our new standard colors for locomotives, passenger cars and "head end” cars­ N&W No. 23 acrylic blue enamel and gold. The colors are highly pleasing to the eye and give our equipment an attractive and lively appearance.

N & W equipment is being repainted with the new colors as it goes th rough our shops for repairs. So far, twelve locomotives and eight passenger equip­ment cars have been repainted. Two passenger locomotives, seven freight locomotives, one passenger coach and seven head end cars have been repainted at Roanoke Shops, and three freight locomotives have been repainted at our shops at Decatur, Ill."

Further on this is a memo on “Standard Color for Passenger Equipment, (color change from Tuscan Red to Dark Blue) dated12-14-1965, from the office of the mechanical engineer:

"At the present time, we have on hand about 97 gallons of Tuscan red paint. Normally, this would be about a year’s supply. Mr. Stinett advises that it can be used in related colors.

Sufficient blue paint (Wabash color), which can be darkened to the desired shade, is on hand in a sufficient quantity to paint six units, either locomotives or cars. There will not be any significant difference between this paint and the ready mixed paint to be purchased.

Mr Stinnett is preparing color chips, and Mr. Stickely is developing a specification for the new paints.”

This and the following memo is from Charlie Schlotthober’s collection.

Another memo, dated February 2, 1966 from R. R. MCDaniel, Superintendent - Locomotive Department address to Mr. M.F. Stewart, General Storkeeper:

"My joint letter of December 28, 1965 under subject, "Painting of Diesel Passenger Locomotives - color Change from Tuscan Red to Dark Blue," copy to you.

Beginning immediately, N&W standard color for diesel_ locomotives, both freight and passenger, is blueo Trucks, underframes and fuel tanks will continue to be painted black.

The blue enamel, recently adopted on passenger units, requires about four hours longer per unit to dry than the old standard black Acrylic enamel. In discussing this with our Chemists, it is decided that a blue Acrylic enamel should be used on all diesel locomotives. Until the correct ordering specifications for blue Acrylic enamel can be determined, it will be necessary that we continue using present blue enamel on any diesel units, which require repainting.

So that the correct shade of Arcylic can be obtained, please submit blue color chips to the various suppliers, advis­ing this office of their recommendations. Stenciling drawings will be revised to show the blue Acrylic enamel in the near future. Sample colors submitted by the suppliers should be check­ed and approved by our Chemical Laboratory.”

Best
Ken Miller