Questions related to Caboose Brakes...CF and CG...

Mon Jul 10 07:47:09 EDT 2017

On 7/9/2017 3:59 PM, NW Modeling List wrote:

> The CF Caboose was built in 1914+ with Triple "K" Brakes and then were
> modernized to AB or sold as is.

Steve,
     I can't comment on when the change over occurred, but, I can help
you get your nomenclature correct. It is not a 'Triple "K" Brake'. It is
a _control valve_ called the "/*_Type K_*/" control valve (more commonly
called a 'triple valve'). The "triple" refers to what the valve does.
That is, /*Charge*/ (the air brake system), /*Apply*/ and /*Release*/
the air brakes. So it is the "K" type, "AB" type, "ABD" type, etc., all
of which we refer to as a triple valves.
     You may find the following link informative:
http://icsarchive.org/tp/1291_1911_type_k_freight_triple_valves.pdf

Jimmy Lisle