new question

Tue Feb 23 13:38:44 EST 2016

Oh yes, the non-vestibule ends of the lightweight cars did have brackets.
And the 1949 cars all had electrical sockets, which were on the sides of the car next to the ends. The brackets were on the ends, but the sockets were near them on the sides.
Jim Nichols

  Ken,
     I thought it odd reading this. I have never seen an electrified oil lamp type rear marker. None of the reference material that I have show an electrical socket on the side of the Observation car and I haven't seen one on any of the ends of the other passenger cars.
     If you remember, cabs were assigned to conductors. I feel sure that each conductor kept a set of markers locked up in a locker inside of their cab. Where passenger car markers were kept I don't know for sure, probably inside one of the cars or maybe they were turned in at the end of the trip. I think that they were an item that was kept on the shelf at the storehouse and probably somewhere around the passenger station. Let me ask my former conductor to see if he has a better answer.
     One thing that I do find interesting is that the non-vestibule ends of the lightweight cars do not have marker brackets.

 Jimmy Lisle