4-8-0 "survey" results

Tue Jul 28 12:06:44 EDT 2015

I thought I should share the results.  We got a significant number of
suggestions (mostly tactful, some not)that we clarify which M we were
talking to the manufacturer/importer about.  Our discussions hadn't reached
that level, as we were simply exploring the possibility of a "low price"
N&W 4-8-0.  The results of the survey made it clear that our best bet is
the M, specifically the way it looks (tender, fittings, etc.)at Strasburg
today.  It is clear to most of our members that some mass-market appeal
will, we think, substantially increase the viability of this project.

I got some comments about getting my M, M-1, and M-2 straighter in my
mind.  I don't have it where I want it, but I'm a lot closer than I was two
weeks ago (thank you, again, and as always, Col. Jeffries and Harold
Davenport).

We got a good number of "You should do the M in a version with variations,
especially tenders"; we're going to pass that on, but the
cost-effectiveness of that will be determiend by the
manufacturer/importer.

We got a good number of "Instead of an M you guys should do []".  We're
listening to all of that, but some are probably less likely than others.
I'd like an LC-2, but I'm not holding my breath.

And, we got a surprising number of "at that price I'd be interested in one
or two".  I'm quite pleased we did this.

We forwarded the results and constructive suggestions to the
manufacturer/importer.  We've been asked to keep "his" name quiet for the
time being.  It's not Broadway, but we're looking at that type of model
with that level of quality and in that price ballpark.  We will keep you
posted as to what happens next.

For those of you who replied with expressions interest and constructive
suggestions/comments/cirticism, thank you.

Frank Bongiovanni, NWHS Modeling Committee