Subject: Re: 1941 Along The Right Of Way

Mon Apr 14 10:35:41 EDT 2014

Vince

I think that first one with the sepia cover is not an A, but a K along New River.

I'll see if I can dig mine out with the painting cover, I know my cover was damaged or torn, but it is a great painting, and I'd love to know who has the original of it, I'm told the original hung outside the PR department for years, but I never saw it in my time visiting. If I recall correctly, it was a boy and his dog, standing on top of a hill, looking down on the A an a freight train, painted by a fellow who worked in PR for several years. He was the same one who painted the J and Arrow train on the cover with the 1940 census data.

I think I remember seeing the auction for the book at $202.50, just goes to show what can happen if two people want something bad enough! However, something similar happened with some Virginian "broadsides" or excursion posters, over a period of a few weeks, the same seller listed something like five flyers, over time. The first one went for about $150 something, the second for $90 something, the third which was actually two for one price, ended up at like $35, the last one ended up at $18. So, how do you think the first two buyers felt about their value, when the last three went for less than the price of one of the others? I know how I felt, I was glad to get those last three, and glad my bids fell far short on the first two.

As far as I could tell, none would have been any more valuable or special than the others, all for excursion trips to the beach or a fair. So, there is no real telling on value. What someone wants to pay, is what they will spend. It might well be worth that much to them, but on the open market, not so much.

Best
Ken