where to start?

Mon Apr 14 08:45:57 EDT 2014

Kim

As Bob has already responded with the background on the cab, I'll give you a response on the question of brake linkage.

First, this is the closest thing to a real caboose kit I've seen, not totally gone, but about as close as you can get to it.

When the cab was trucked to the farm, which I am guessing was 30 or more years ago. Most likely due to clearances and loaded weight, normally the trucks were very likely removed. When the trucks are removed, the brake linkages are normally disconnected or parts cut off, and rarely, is the owner interested in putting it back the way it was, as the brakes serve little purpose today, with the cab placed on a piece of track never to roll there.

It can be a large restoration project with a lot of effort to reconstruct the body and interior. Depending on what the owner wants inside the cab, you've really got a clean slate, it could be virtually an interior you want. Most cabs as built with bunks and such, are not very room. When my father and I restored my Virginian 342, the bunks had been taken out of one end and a toilet installed in its place. I wanted an original interior, but adding the upper bunk really closed the cab off, giving it a real tunnel effect, so we opted to only install the bottom bench/bunk/toolbox there. It still looks really nice that way, and it make it a lot more open.

These cabs had a tongue and groove interior and could look great. Personally, unless time and money was no object here, I'd make the exterior totally correct and do what ever you wanted on the inside. It would save a lot of time, effort and make it open for any creative reuse inside.

Best
Ken Miller