"Pole and Paddle" semaphores

Mon Aug 5 15:04:53 EDT 2013

*Ed:**
**
**Thanks. I am referring to the 2-arm semaphore as in the p. 32 photo
in your**_N&W in the Appalachians_**. I do not know the correct
nomenclature for this device, which is why I put "pole and paddle"
within quotation marks. Can you tell me the correct designation?**
**
**In N&W literature I find this top-of-the-pole, 2-arm (paddle) device
commonly pictured outside telegraph offices--at interlocking towers and
many (not all) stations. I believe I have read that they were integral
to the telegraph block system predating the automatic block system.**
**
**So you are saying, I think, that the p. 32 devices, erected before
ABS, were not deactivated with the coming of ABS, but in fact soldiered
on even with ABS.

**I am modeling Boaz-to-Bedford, and photos verify the Villamont
interlocking tower and all stations (except the Bedford freight house)
with devices as on your p. 32. Not static at all, I believe you are
saying, but operating still mid-century in connection with telegraph
offices.**
**
**Rail signaling strikes me, not a student of the field, as rather
bewildering**, so here's a salute to you and others who can unscramble
the field for **the untutored.
**
**Frank**
**