"Pole and Paddle" semaphores

Tue Aug 6 10:35:11 EDT 2013

Harry -

II spent time in Tug Tower but did not go into the field to see the near signals. Did Bob Painter say in which direction that approach signal was, and which home signal it “protected”? Did Bob say whether the signal in advance of that approach could display an “advance approach”? There might have been a short approach in the eastbound direction coming out of Farm.
I thought he had reference to a westbound approach signal in the neighborhood of
Welch Tunnel, but the 1982 track chart shows longer spacing. Of course, Tug had been
retired by that time and the signals may have been changed. Let me check out an
older track chart at the Archives on Thursday. With such a short distance, an advance
approach would have been in order.

Do you remember that, at one time, they had an “approach restricting” indication? They actually had one at Renick coming eastbound into the B&O interchange; they realized pretty quickly that it was a potentially hazardous signal to have, and discontinued its use.
Can't say I remember the signal at Renick. Wish I had spent more time on the Scioto.

Will try to get a photo of the TC machine and post.
Harry Bundy

EdK