Arrow rear cover photo

Mon Apr 15 12:58:09 EDT 2013

This is some information about the photo on the back page of the newest edition of the Arrow. The photo, concerning the 611 wreck on January 23, 1956, is a subject covered in my book, "Midnight on the Pocahontas", the first chapter I have sent for serial publication in the Arrow. Regarding the photo, I can pick out a few details. At the left edge of the photo, near center, near the hill on the inside of the curve, is part of the Cedar baseball diamond. There is two coaches on the bank, the first (lying on its side) is P3 coach #539, presently owned by the Watauga Valley Chapter NRHS. I have had the recent opportunity to ride on this coach, on the Southern 630 trip from Norfolk to Petersburg. The second coach (standing upright) Is PM class coach 1727. Missing is the Railway Post Office car, which was retrieved early for the safety and forwarding of the mail.
Lois J.Ponton
ljpli at hotmail.com