Park Street: 1936-1942 Question

Mon Jul 30 23:36:36 EDT 2012

Abe

I agree with you that Jeff did a great job with his research.

>Another question which arises out of this whole issue is this: For

>what purpose, and when, was the building we presently know as "Park

>Street Yard Office" built? To me, it always appeared to be

>late-1940s construction. I do know that when the circa-1942 yard

>office was demolished by the runaway cars, the Yardmaster was moved

>immediately to this building. But I could never determine its prior

>use. Perhaps it was constructed for and used by whatever Department

>was housed at Huff Mill in its last days (Signal Department?)

At the time of the fire Huff Mill housed some Radford Division Jobs
that were also transferred to the GOB. I have no idea where Park
Street Yard office was located at this time. Now we both know that
the Radford Div and Roanoke Terminal had a direct connection from the
AM&O days until the time we both left N&W Operating. So the yard
office may have been located in the yard, Rad. and Shen. div office
that burned or the Huff Mill location. At this point we can only
speculate. I never worked at Park Street Yard office but a friend
clerk was working the night of the runaway cars. He ended up with a
big window air conditioner on his back. He survived the wreck.

J. Blackstock