N&W Caboose 518021

Mon Feb 13 15:17:39 EST 2012

The first CF cabin car, number 518000, was bought by my neighbor in 1969 and it was abandoned later on my farm. It is still there and the cupola has the sealed end windows, but the sides are not.

Bud Jeffries
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 1:26 PM
Subject: Re: N&W Caboose 518021

I believe that the sealed windows were done to a number of the early cabs. They originally had windows that could be opened, but I suspect that the amount of coal dust and soot coming in was hard on the crews. I recall seeing a drawing to change out windows on the CG class dated sometime in late 1964 or 1965.

Ken Miller