Early black diesel freight scheme logos

Fri Jun 10 09:31:06 EDT 2011

(This discussion applies only to units purchased new by N&W pre-NKP/WAB/ACY/PWV merger)

To my knowledge all the passenger GP-9's originally had the round metal plates on their ends with the script N&W emblem on them. These round plates went away when the units were repainted and the ½ moon emblems were applied. Many freight GP-9's (and GP-18's?) also had the round plates with the script emblem that likewise went away when the units were repainted. I don't know if all the freight GP-9's and GP-18's) originally had the round emblem plates or not. If they didn't it would be interesting to know where the cutoff point was with delivery of the units. Likewise the GP-9's received in what I call the "steam locomotive scheme" (Norfolk and Western on the side of the long hood and numbers under the cab windows only - all in gold) obviously weren't delivered with the round emblem plates since there were no emblems. 300 series RS-3's and RS-11's never had such plates due to having flatter hood ends than the EMD units. Other comments? Corrections?

Ed Painter Narrows, Virginia - Living in Russellville, AR