Early black diesel freight scheme logos

Fri Jun 10 08:58:37 EDT 2011

Hi,

I'm interested in the 'gothic' script logos applied to the locomotive ends of GP9's.  I had though that it was only the red passenger diesels that were fitted with 'shields' and that freight engine logos were painted on.  However I have now seen pictures of what appear to be black freight engines with the logo on a shield, was this universal does anyone know?

The half moon logo does appear to have been just painted onto the loco ends, unless anyone can say different?

Could anyone clarify these points?

Thanks

Andy Thornton