Speed and trains ticketed

Thu Feb 24 10:51:23 EST 2011

Speeding "issues" aren't limited to mainline railroads - a business friend
who was a native of Cleveland told me a story from WW II - it seems
Cleveland Railways had, for reasons I do not remember, a rule that late evening
runs had to be back at Public Square by midnight. One motorman on a long run
was having problems getting back on time, until a friend of his in the
shop volunteered to reinstall the field taps on the motor controls for the car
he usually got assigned. Apparently that class of cars had originally
been bought for some interurban runs that could benefit from the higher speed
capability, but as those routes had been cut back during the Depression,
the field taps were removed. (Anyone needing a more detailed technical
explanation of all this please contact me off line.) All was going well, the
motorman was completing his runs on time with room to spare....until he got
clocked going 65 mph on Euclid Avenue!

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 2/24/2011 8:31:05 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,