"Taking Twenty" with the Virginian Brethren

Thu Sep 17 08:46:22 EDT 2009

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with eight of the Brethren
and Friends of the Virginian Railway. We passed around a sign up sheet for
our Road Trip on October third to the Gathering of Virginian Brethren at
Victoria. Most are anxious to visit old friends and see the new Virginian
display at the Rail Park of the G5 VGN Gon donated by the Roanoke Chapter NRHS.

The ebay report this time includes sale of Virginian Railway items:
Lima-Hamilton Paperweight of VGN AG locomotive $104.57; 1931 VGN employee
pass $25.48; negative of 2-8-4 #507 and Electric #128 $11.11; negative of
Mullens Motor Barn and Yard $21.01; "Virginian Rails" by Kurt Reisweber
$48.79; "N&W and VGN in Color" by H. Reid $48.89; and an original slide of
VGN #54 FM $112.50.

Passed around was the photo that Saltwater Salmon posted from the Princeton
Station Museum showing a Virginian "Bobber" caboose at Princeton. Ruf and
Landon had never seen or knew that the VGN had a two axle four wheel
caboose. Landon said "that little thing would be airborne on the Norfolk
Division behind the Ford train".

Also passed was the Summer 2009 NRHS "Bulletin" that highlights trains in
"flyover country" and gas-electric cars. Another interesting discussion was
ignited when Gordon Hamilton's February 5, 1910 article from the Bluefield
"Daily Telegraph" was passed around. The article is titled "How the
Virginian can get into Bluefield". The Brethren had "never heard of such a
thing".

Ruf Wingfield,Jeff Sanders, and I were entertained by Susan our waitress,
when she produced a gold plated dime. Ruf remembered buying a "gold silver
dollar" from VGN hogger "Hustle Bubble" Mattingly for $2.00.

Also passed around were several photos from last Friday's Flag Pole
Ceremony at the Virginian Station. The highlight was one showing our own
Landon Gregory, representing the Brethren, speaking about Henry Huddleston
Rogers and how the VGN came together at the VA-WV state lines. He was
flanked by US Congressman Bob Goodlatte and Roanoke Mayor David Bowers.
Landon was also featured on local TV telling the group about the release of
money to advertise for bids to start station/depot renovation construction.
At the Ceremony were 10 of the Virginian Brethren. Each wore a distinctive
name badge identifying them as former VGN Employees. We had over 100 guests
including two State Senators, Sheriffs, Police, Fire, Rescue, Delegates and
Friends of the Virginian Railway. Since this was also a 9-11 event on
Patriot's Day, the flag was raised with three gongs of a locomotive bell,
to remember those who lost their lives at the World Trade Center, the
Pentagon and Shanksville, PA on September 11, 2001.

Ruf told us about working at his church and overhearing two young boys. One
started to tell the other something during the service. The other quietly
told him to be quiet and not talk above a whisper during the service. The
other asked "Why?" He was told to look at the back of the church and
observe the two very large gentlemen by the door. "They're hushers, and
will come get you if you talk out loud", instructed the boy. Ruf said that
he served as a "Husher" at his church for years...

Time to pull the pin on this one!

Departing Now from V248,

Skip Salmon