Hyde Park Line in Cincinnati

Thu Sep 17 12:36:22 EDT 2009

At the end of August Norfolk Southern's transloading facility in Norwood,
OH, a suburb of Cincinnati was closed. This facility lies at the end of the
former N&W Hyde Park branch and is the only customer on the line. It had
been switched once or twice per week.

The railroad gate is open at the east end (which was always locked except
while switching), derail switch closed, rusty rails, an empty yard, and a
sign in the office door window stating that the office was closed. I do not
know if this is a permanent closure. Bulk transfer company Matlac closed in
2004 then Superior Carriers took over. Norfolk Southern owns this property.
Since 2004 NS has been working twice a week there most weeks. Many of the
tank cars and of course the flour cars contained ingredients for Frisch's
(local franchise restaurant "Big Boy') commissary. But, Clare Yard is also a
bulk transfer facility operated under lease by Bulkmatic.

Whether this line, by the reuse of Norwood yard, will ever be reopened
cannot be speculated upon right now. For some years NS has offered this
line to SORTA, the Southern Regional Transportation Authority, bu they have
no purchased it.

TQ07 was the switcher/shifter that went up the line from Clare to bring in,
shift and take out cars. These would go to Clare and eventually be taken to
Sharon yard by the T51 local that also goes out the old Peavine to Peebles.
TQ07 and T51 still operate but not in the regular manner of last year.
We'll have to seen how and when business turns around.

Strictly speculation, the condition of the three bridges on the line might
define the possibility of this line being reopened, the bridge over Big Duck
Creek and Red bank Road, the bridge west of this, hog Back, and the bridge
over I -71. I haven't heard of any plans to abandon the line so far. But,
NS has abandoned formally a short section of the line from Idlewild to Berry
Yard between Paddock Road and Tennessee Avenue.

Norwood yard and the area surrounding it was a hot spot for business in the
1900-1920's for the N&W as well as the industrial yard for cars moved by the
PRR/CL&N on to their spurs on the CL&N. Just to the west was the connection
to the CL&N at Idelwild (Xavier University now).

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati