N&W Caboose #562764 (Ex-Wabash 2764)

Fri Apr 3 16:00:03 EDT 2009

Kyle: Probably all of the information you desire is in the "Caboose of the
N&W" book by Brewer and Bowers>

In the 1980's with the creation of the EOT's , caboose became unnecessary on
trains, thus most railroads sold or donated their caboose fleets to others.
The C-17's were once Wabash cabooses and many were sold off to individuals
or small railroads that wished to continue to use a caboose on their trains.
Your C-17 was one of those. I can look up who the first owner was (or might
have been as the book was published in the early 1990's), but who owned it
afterwards may not be in the N&WHS records.

The I&O, I believe, bought 5 or 6 of them with plans to use them on
excursions or similar.

Gary Rolih

Secretary N&WHS

_____